While sabre/dav has obtained a decent marketshare for CardDAV, CalDAV, and WebDAV servers, traditionally it's always been intended to be a development library.
Because of this goal, it always had a very high barrier to entry. We want to solve this problem and bring it to a bigger market with sabre/katana.
sabre/katana will provide two core features:
- An installer.
- An admin interface.
It's our goal to make the admin interface an independent component, so it can also be used for any other sabre/dav server.
Installer design goals
The installer needs to help with getting people started getting their server up and running. Traditionally it was only ever possible to set up sabre/dav by copying files, and you were even forced to manually run SQL queries.
The installer will now walk you through the steps, in a way so that it's doable on people just having access to a shared host with (god forbid) something like an FTP account.
We will also add an admin interface. This admin interface should be seperable from the rest of the package.
- The admin interface should be 100% client side. PHP must not be used.
- It should be possible to deploy an admin interface on a static host, such as S3.
- The admin interface should be able to communicate with any sabre/dav server.
- The admin interface allows the admin to:
- Manage users.
- Manage address books.
- Manage calendars.
- Manage files.
- All of these management operations will be done via publicly documented standard sabre/dav APIs. If you use sabre/dav, you can implement the relevant API and take advantage.
- The admin interface should automatically hide features that are not available on the server or disabled via access control.
- The admin interface should show an overview of features that are and are not available on the server, so users know what they are missing.
Post 1.0 features:
- It should also be able to check basic sabre/dav version information and report vulnerabilities.
- Work in a "non-admin" mode, so users can manage their own calendars even if they don't have admin-related features.
- It should be tested with some non-sabre/dav-based servers.